Monday, August 25, 2008

Be a Traveler, Not a Tourist

I've always loved to travel. I don't care where I go or what I do I just want to get out there and see the world. Unfortunately at the age of 22 I have been limited to the east coast of my U.S. exploration, a 3 hour lay over in Iceland, a month in Germany, and a week long road trip with my friends to Toronto during spring break.

As I get older my itch to see the world needs to be scratched more than ever. Sadly, I'm poor as fuck so I don't get to travel much. Fortunately for me there is this amazing and fabulously entertaining creation called The Travel Channel. I can be distracted by the Travel Channel for hours open end. In fact the other day Wes (Remember? He's the BF.) said, "I watch the Travel Channel so much that if there's something I haven't seen I'm really surprised." The two of us are on the same page, and when there's something new on I get really excited!

However, out of all the shows, there are 2 that always catch my attention. The first one I feel in love with with Samantha Brown. She has been all over the place, and for that I secretly hate her. Her show, "Passport to Europe," I just couldn't keep my eyes off of and I secretly hate her for getting to some of the most beautiful places in the world. Her sweet, girl next door, fun loving attitude makes viewers love her. (She's Wes' TV girlfriend.)

Not only does she travel everywhere, but she goes to places that majority of tourist don't. Places that only locals know about. And, frankly, if tourists don't know about it, it makes me like it even more. Being a Cape Cod girl I know what tourists are like and I hate them with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

Jumping off of that is that man I like to call the "Anti-tourist," Anthony Bourdain. Anthony is a master of 2 things traveling and food. He goes to big cities, suburbia, the country, and other remote areas, and mixes with the locals. He eats the local food and gets consumed by the culture that surrounds him. He's a bold, perfectly honest, guy from New Jersey (Even though I hate Jersey) who wants nothing more than a good stiff drink and a nice big plate of food.

To be completely honest with you I love to hate Samantha and Anthony. They have the best jobs in the world! Why the fuck isn't my job that cool? I'm mean I'm a worldly woman, (...kind of) and I can drink with the best of them. So, why might I ask you am I stuck in a fucking nasty hot kitchen all summer? I wish either you or I could answer that question, but I digress. I guess the cooking for seafood and contributing to the obesity of the U.S. will be left to me and amazing world of traveling will be kept to the "professionals." (Whatever that means.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eve, do you want to travel more than you are! Don't have the money to travel, check this out! Get Your Own Travel Website