Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Get off of my fucking Band Wagon

About 2 weeks ago the Boston Bruins officially joined the race for the Stanley Cup. Being a fan all my life I was so excited that my hockey boys were finally doing well again. I was pumped when it was announced that on April 15th the Bruins would be in game 4 of a 7 game series verses the Canadians and the game would be played in Boston. The best part is that I had nothing to do that night! So, about an hour after the tickets went on sale I jumped online to order my tickets. I figured that I'd end up spending about $30 on my ticket after purchasing fees and such. To my surprise there were no $30 tickets left. In fact the cheapest ticket I could find was $101!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! What the hell! No one likes hockey!

Its happening now, its happened before, and it'll happen again. Do you know why? Because everyone loves a winner. When a team starts winning everyone wants to be around for the BIG WIN. And to all those people that don't pay attention to sports until the local team starts to win all I have to say is, Get off of my fucking Band Wagon! Seriously, I don't want you here! You're not a true fan, you just love a good win. And while I do too, for me what makes the win even better is all the times that we didn't win.

Why is it that NOW you want to go to all the games and NOW you want the autographs, and NOW you need to buy the t-shirts and the hats? You're not a real fan. A real fan sticks by the team through thick and thin. When you get shit for being a fan and at the end of the day you're still a fan. That's the test. Its all about the dedication you put into the team that makes winning all the more sweet.

The ultimate true fan in my eyes is my grandfather. He was a huge Red Sox fan. He grew up down the street from Fenway Park and was a complete die hard. I remember one summer when I was about 12 years old he picked me up from camp. He was sporting a Red Sox hat and jersey. One of the mothers that was there picking up her son said to him, "Wow, you've got to be crazy to wear that shirt." And I don't think I'll ever forget his response. He looked her straight in the eye and said, "Miss I am a fan. I'm always going to be a fan. It doesn't matter if we win or lose. All the looses are just building up to one big win and when that win comes, it's going to be the best win this team has ever seen." 3 years later he ended up having a heart attack and he died. He never saw his big win, but I take those words with me to my teams.

They say that the waiting is the hardest part, but the faithful are rewarded in the end. So to all you Band Wagon jumping mother fuckers you piss me off! Get your shit straight and love the team before they win.

P.S. - Fuck all of you that have Bruins tickets.

No comments: